Film has always offered a very sharp scalpel with this to dissect and examine the issues of our time. As culture’s most accessible and widely consumed medium, it is one of the most potent ways we have to examine, explore, interrogate and find inspiration from society. Film can highlight the elements of society of which we are most proud or move us to debate and change the issues that are most worrying.
The Festival proudly offers a showcase of feature drama, documentary and episodic television previews that enable us to question, debate and understand some of the burning issues of Irish and global society, from the 8th Amendment, through the growing crisis of homelessness in Ireland, to the influence of the media and broadcasters on our politics, and much more.
Speakers will include:
- Ann Furedi – Director, British Pregnancy Advice Service and author
- Dr Mary Favier – Doctors for Choice Ireland
- Sandra Duffy – Faculty of Law, University College Cork
- Adam Butcher – writer/director
- Carla MacKinnon – filmmaker and animation doctoral candidate
- Dr. Jurek Kirakowski
- Kim Bartley – Director
- PJ Coogan – 96 FM
- Dr. Fiona Dukelow – School of Applied Sciences, UCC
- Fr. Peter McVerry S.J.
- Peadar KIng – KMF Productions
- Harry McGee – The Irish Times
- Ciarán Kissane – Broadcasting Authority Ireland
- Dr. Finola Doyle-O’Neill – History Department, UCC
- Dan Dwyer – NUI Galway Acadamh
- Anne- Marie Tomchak – UK Editor, Mashable
- Barry O Sullivan – Director, Insight Centre for Data Analytics
- Margie McCarthy – Science Foundation Ireland